Furnace Safety Tips and the Importance of Routine Furnace ServiceDecember 17, 2018 6:22 pm Leave your thoughts
A gas furnace can keep you warm and cozy no matter how low the temperatures drop outside, but it’s important to keep up on regular care and maintenance if you want to keep your furnace operating safely and effectively. Improper furnace operation can lead to a number of safety risks, including burns, property damage and carbon monoxide poisoning. To keep your home and family safe this winter, it’s important to follow a few furnace service tips in St. George, UT:
- Keep the area around your furnace clear: Leaving clutter and debris close to your furnace can pose a major fire risk. Your furnace has the potential to overheat and start a fire if it isn’t properly ventilated. Make sure that you clear away the space in front of your furnace and keep the burner area of your furnace clean to reduce fire risk.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector: Carbon monoxide is a completely invisible gas that isn’t easily detectible without special testing equipment. To ensure that you are aware of heightened carbon monoxide levels before they pose a risk to you or your family, it’s important to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. This detector will alert you to carbon monoxide leaks so that you can respond promptly and keep your home safe.
- Change your filter: When dust and debris accumulate in your furnace filter, your fire risk goes up. You should change this filter on a regular basis to clear away any particles that have built up. Changing out your furnace filter allows your furnace to operate safer and more efficiently, and it will also promote increased performance and longevity for the unit.
- Promote circulation: It’s fine to close a few of the registers in your home, but you should never close more than 20 percent of your furnace registers at a time. Closing too many registers may lead to a pressure and heat buildup in your system that could potentially cause a fire.
- Invest in maintenance: Perhaps the most important thing you can do to promote safe furnace operation is to invest in regular furnace service in St. George, UT. A furnace technician will inspect your system, troubleshoot any issues and provide you with a tune-up and repairs, if necessary. These services keep your system running efficiently and prevent issues from coming up down the road. A technician who specializes in furnace service will also be able to perform a safety check and identify problems that might cause fire or carbon monoxide risk. It’s important to have your furnace serviced at least once a year to keep it working the way it should.
You can find out more about furnace safety and request an appointment for furnace service in St. George, UT by reaching out to Calaway Heating & Air Conditioning today. Since 1998, our team has been providing comprehensive HVAC services to commercial and residential customers alike. We offer HVAC and refrigeration installation, repairs and maintenance for homeowners and business owners throughout the area. Please browse our website to find out more about all of our services or give us a call to speak with one of our team members.
Categorised in: Furnace Service
This post was written by Writer