Five Common Causes of an AC BreakdownJuly 20, 2020 10:41 pm Leave your thoughts
Running your air conditioner day and night throughout the summer puts a lot of strain on the system. Unfortunately, that means it could break down, leaving you without refreshing AC until you can schedule AC repair in St. George, UT. Continue reading to learn a few of the top reasons why we get calls to fix our clients’ air conditioners:
- Dirty air filter: The air filter is responsible for keeping dust, dirt and other contaminants out of your AC unit. When it becomes dirty and clogged, it can’t do its job as well, leading to a variety of problems. A dirty filter may restrict airflow or lead to damaged parts inside the unit. Replace that filter every month or so to avoid this issue.
- Worn components: If your AC is more than five years old, its individual components may begin to wear out. The compressor, fan blades and electrical connections can go bad after constant use. Schedule an annual maintenance visit to catch this problem before you need an emergency repair.
- Frozen coil: Dirty air filters can also cause the evaporator coil to develop a layer of frost and eventually freeze up. A frozen coil means your AC will work overtime to cool your home, leading to an eventual breakdown. Be sure to inspect your coil for any signs of frost, and call a professional to make repairs right away if it’s frozen.
- Refrigerant leak: Every AC needs a certain amount of refrigerant inside to cool your house. Unless there’s a crack somewhere in the unit, the refrigerant should never drop. If it does, an HVAC technician will need to come to recharge the refrigerant and repair the crack.
- Faulty thermostat: Sometimes, it’s the thermostat that causes a breakdown instead of the AC unit itself. A broken thermostat can cause the system to cycle on and off more frequently, making it seem like the AC is broken. Consider upgrading to a new digital or smart thermostat to better control your home’s heating and air conditioning system.
Prevent breakdowns with seasonal maintenance
You can avoid the need for AC repair in St. George, UT by calling the professionals at Calaway Heating & Air Conditioning to tune up your unit. Here’s how we ensure your unit will last through the summer heat:
- Cleaning: An accumulation of dirt and debris inside the unit is a leading cause of AC malfunctions. Your HVAC pro will thoroughly clean the interior and exterior of your AC to ensure debris isn’t a cause of a midseason breakdown.
- Inspection: Next, your technician will perform an in-depth inspection of all the components inside your unit. He’ll also run a test to ensure everything is functioning as it should be.
- Part replacement: If anything looks amiss during the inspection and test, your technician will replace the faulty parts. Replacing parts during an annual inspection is often cheaper than emergency replacement in the middle of the summer.
If you haven’t already done so, pick up the phone and call our team to schedule AC maintenance! A routine inspection can prevent the need for AC repair in St. George, UT, saving you hundreds of dollars and helping to keep you comfortable and safe during the summer.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning
This post was written by Writer