Before buying a new air conditioner, many homeowners ask us how long an AC unit typically lasts in St. George, UT. The answer is that it depends! Homeowners can generally expect their ACs to last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. However, it’s not out of the question for a unit to last up to 25 years if it’s well cared for. This post will cover the elements that can affect the life of an AC, and how you can prolong it.
Factors that affect an AC’s lifespan
Just like with any appliance in your house, your AC can last for a shorter or longer amount of time depending on a few factors. Here are the top contributors to your AC’s lifespan:
- Installation: With professional installation, you can almost guarantee that your unit will last longer than a DIY job. An HVAC technician knows precisely where to install your AC to reduce strain on the system and lengthen its lifespan. A pro will also ensure everything is properly connected, reducing the chance of a malfunction.
- Frequency of use: Running your unit more frequently could potentially shorten its lifespan. So, we always recommend shutting your AC off when you’re not at home and turning the thermostat up before you go to sleep. Additionally, consider setting your thermostat to a slightly higher temperature. After all, nobody needs to feel like they live inside a walk-in cooler.
- Maintenance level: Just like with your car, the better you take care of your AC, the longer it’ll last. A yearly professional checkup and regular homeowner inspections can make all the difference in your unit’s lifespan and performance level. Additionally, be sure to call for repairs as soon as anything seems off. The longer you wait to have your unit repaired, the worse off the AC will be.
How to prolong your unit’s lifespan
The true answer to the question, “How long does an AC unit last in St. George, UT?” depends largely on the homeowner who purchases the unit. Here’s how you can ensure you get the most out of your AC:
- Schedule yearly maintenance: A routine maintenance appointment each spring or early summer is crucial for extending your unit’s lifespan. This quick checkup includes a thorough cleaning of the unit and any necessary part replacement.
- Inspect it yourself: Even people who don’t know much about their AC units can perform a basic inspection. Check for problems like a frozen outdoor condenser coil, and pay attention to any strange noises. Paying attention to your unit and calling for repairs right away can extend its lifespan.
- Keep the unit clean: Finally, ensure the outdoor unit and the area around it are as clean and tidy as possible. Sweeping up any leaves and debris can prevent all sorts of problems that lead to a shorter lifespan.
Even though we’re in the middle of summer, it’s not too late to schedule AC maintenance service. A quick tune-up by one of our pros at Calaway Heating & Air Conditioning will extend your unit’s lifespan, ensuring you don’t have to sit around and wonder how long your AC unit is likely to last in St. George, UT.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning
This post was written by Writer