How Can HVAC System Protect Me from COVID-19?March 8, 2021 7:36 pm Leave your thoughts
The last year has been difficult as everyone deals with the fallout from a global pandemic. People have completely changed their lives to avoid contracting COVID-19 and spreading it to others. One aspect of viral spread that’s gained significant attention is indoor airflow. The bottom line is that better airflow reduces the risk of contracting the virus.
This has people wondering: Can running the HVAC system in my St. George, UT home help protect me from COVID-19? Of course, on its own, running the HVAC system will not protect you from contracting coronavirus. But, when combined with other best practices recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an HVAC system can play a helpful part in limiting the spread of COVID-19. Here are some things to consider about how HVAC systems help with air circulation and filtration.
Using an HVAC system in the fight against COVID-19
There are a few things you can do to ensure the air in your home is well circulated and less likely to spread infection:
- Run your HVAC fan continuously or for longer times. HVAC systems only filter the air when the fan is running. You can run the fan regardless of whether or not you’re actively heating or cooling your home.
- Inspect the filter and ensure it’s correctly in place. Having a properly installed and functioning filter is essential for both the system’s operation and maintaining proper airflow. You can also switch to a high-efficiency filter. Talk to an HVAC professional if you’re thinking of switching your filter.
- If your system has an outside air intake, open it up. Talk to an HVAC professional for details about this.
Other ventilation and air circulation concerns
Beyond using your HVAC system, there are plenty of other ways to ensure your home has proper airflow.
- Bring in fresh air from outdoors as much as possible. Leave windows and outer doors open whenever the weather permits.
- Open doors to rooms and hallways.
- Use ceiling fans, restroom fans and portable fans.
- Use a portable air cleaner or air purifier with a HEPA filter.
All of these recommendations should be used in conjunction with standard ways of preventing viral spread. These include wearing face masks, social distancing, frequent handwashing and avoiding gathering in large groups.
Are you looking for a leader in HVAC systems to help ensure running the HVAC system in your St. George, UT home helps protect you and your loved ones from COVID-19? Calaway Heating & Air Conditioning has been serving area homeowners for air conditioning repair and installation for more than two decades. We offer installation and repair services for furnaces of all kinds, heat pumps, refrigeration equipment, air conditioning units, thermostats and more! We also perform installations for new construction and commercial businesses alike.
Our team of expert technicians always completes a thorough evaluation of the job before we begin the work. We check for mold, dust mites, pollen, insects and other hazards to ensure we eliminate any future problems your HVAC equipment may encounter. Give us a call right now to learn more and receive a free estimate.
Categorised in: HVAC Contractor
This post was written by Writer